Tuesday, November 3, 2015

October has come and gone!

October sure did go by fast! It must mean I must be working really hard...or maybe hardly working :)

October has been filled with more adventures, some repeated visits to places and making new friends!  I've enjoyed hanging out in trees, learning to make plantain fries, cook-up, and sorrel juice, road tripping to Rockstone with awesome new Brazilian friend, enjoying an American concert, setting up a haunted house, more manatee fun, and dim sum! Interspersed play time with teaching 6 eager Speech Therapy students at the University of Guyana all of whom I've had the pleasure of getting to know and work with.

A fellow Peace Corps Response volunteer, Ramona, works with the Botanical Gardens, and she's has been able to get permission for me to rig in one of the trees!


I can feel my stamina and energy already declining. 

Ramona says this is as close as she'll get onto fabric- we'll see about that :)
Since being here, I've been on the look out for awesome trees, and I found Tarzan's tree at the Promenade Gardens!


It seems strong enough to hold me...

Well climbing trees does work up an appetite! My friend, Niocie (mentioned in previous post) has taught how to make plantain fries and cook-up with chicken! Super delicious
 Pretty addicting fries I have to say, sprinkled with what they call "green sauce." That's a combination of a whole bunch of different spices: garlic, onion, basil, oregano...others I cannot remember.

My landlady, Tasha, has taught me how to make Sorrel juice, which I've been attempting to perfect :) I have to say, I think it comes out pretty well!


I'm in the process of attempting to make pineapple ginger juice too, and maybe next cucumber ginger! Pretty refreshing!

Now Niocie and Kyle have had a visitor from Brazil stay with them for a weekend. I decided to tag along and play tourist. We went back down to Linden, actually pass Linden to a town called Rockstone for the Fish Festival. Never actually made it to the Fish Festival but did find the sign for Rockstone!


We did find some other fish being sold at a market!

 Aren't they big and ugly! 


We also decided to go visit the manatees again. Let's face it, the manatees here are probably the most awesome creatures ever. If you ever need to be cheered up- they definitely do that for you!
 Look how far out of the water he gets just to get his grass! 
That face...priceless :)

We also went to visit the Seawall, but this time actually went into the water. It is quite warm! Not the cleanest at this beach, but it was very pretty.


Let's see, also earlier this month I went to a US Embassy sponsored event at the Promenade Gardens with Ramona and Janet (the Occupational Therapist I work with at UG). There is a new US ambassador that was being welcomed. Got to listen to great music by Della Mae, Music Unlimited, and Out of the Box Experience. It was pretty fun!
 This is a Canon Ball Tree at the Promenade Gardens
 Concert set up
 Janet, me and Ramona!
Della Mae featured artists for the event.

Other random happenings this month..I got to take a ride on a horse drawn cart.

 Probably not legal elsewhere for young kiddos to ride on the back of an open bed truck.
 Found myself in the military training camp in Georgetown.

 Had my taste of Vita Malt- can't say it would be my first choice for a drink.

Last but not least, I helped the Georgetown International Academy set up their haunted house for Halloween! It was a great success with many young criers :D As a last minute resort of no costume- We decided to draw on our faces with eyeliner...I'd like to think it came out pretty well considering!


Technically, not in October, but rather Sunday Nov 1. Janet and I decided to for some Dim sum with our UG counterpart- Shine and her sister. Dim sum is offered every Sunday morning at a place called New Thriving Restaurant. At least if I get some sort of craving, I have an outlet for it!



Well, that is it for October! We don't have daylight savings time here, so now I'm an hour head of the previous time difference! November shall bring for some interesting stories, as I am planning on attempting to do a Thanksgiving here. Diwali is also celebrated in November and I believe that is a pretty big holiday here.

2 comments:

  1. Love all the photos. You are really having an adventure there on all kinds of levels!

    ReplyDelete